It began as a simple idea. Raise money through our travel blogs and social media presence to help give back to the various countries we’ve visited as volunteers, teachers, and tourists.
Raising Money to Build Wells in Haiti
Now in its fifth year, Passports with Purpose has chosen Water.org as its 2012 beneficiary. Our goal is to raise $100,000 to build five new wells in Haiti. Each well has the capacity to serve 370 people.
This small Caribbean nation was poverty-stricken before, but has further been devastated by the massive 2010 earthquake, and subsequent tropical storms and hurricanes.
“Nearly half of the people in Haiti don’t have a nearby source of clean water and four out of five don’t have a sanitary toilet.” — Nicole Wickenhauser, Water.org
By coming together over the next two weeks, from November 28 to December 11, the travel blogging community hopes to raise a substantial amount of money to help make a difference in Haiti.
We CAN do this. Last year, we exceeded our goal and raised $90,000 to build two libraries in Zambia. You can see learn more about past projects here.
How to Donate
One of the reasons I love participating with Passports with Purpose is they make it fun to donate.
Us travel bloggers have been busy rounding up awesome prizes, which as of today (November 28), you can then bid on in $10 increments.
Each $10 bid improves your odds of winning that prize. So if you want to donate $50, and have your eye on a certain prize, then you can choose to bid five times for that prize.
Every dollar counts!
This year, I reached out to my friends at Skyscanner for a prize I knew every traveler could appreciate. They’ve generously agreed to offer a $200 credit toward the purchase of flights found on their site.
To bid on the Skyscanner voucher, and see all the prizes up for grabs, click here.
Donations are being accepted through 11:59 PM (EST), December 11, 2012. Prize winners will be notified soon after.
While vying for prizes is fun, the real value in participating in Passports with Purpose is the chance to make a difference in the lives of more Haitians by offering them regular access to clean drinking water.
Terms and Conditions for the flight voucher from Skyscanner
- Entrants must be 18 years of age or older.
- The winner will be awarded $200 (or Euro/GBP equivalent) worth of flights found on Skyscanner. The Skyscanner team will book and pay for your selected flights to the value of $200.
- If you’d like to use the $200 as credit towards more expensive flights, Skyscanner will provide $200 towards the cost of your chosen flights.
- Flights must be booked within 6 months.
- By accepting this prize, the winner accepts full and complete responsibility for their own safety and welfare at all times, including familiarizing themselves with visas, insurance, and other travel requirements.
- Any extra activities and costs beyond the specified prize are the responsibility of the winner.
- Prizes are non-transferable.