Blog Design Updates
I focused more on writing than design this past week, however I made a few key updates.
- Get Recent Comments allows you to post a customizable number of recent comments in your sidebar. The user name of the commenter is a hyperlink to the comments. This is a great way to draw attention to the dialogues occurring on recent posts.
- WP Post Ratings has been on my radar since I started this blog, however my first attempt at installation never worked out. So I was ecstatic when my second try, earlier this week, worked! The only downside has been the display in Internet Explorer 6 is problematic – the Comments section gets pushed a screen’s length down the page for some reason. Unfortunately, I’ve had other issues with IE 6, and have decided not to cater to it. This site is optimized for use with Firefox.
- Ultimate Tag Warrior 3 is supposed to be the bomb due to it’s flexibility. I installed it yesterday after the previous plugin I was using kept dropping tags (I still have no idea where they went and why). When I checked some posts today, I found I lost more tags I updated through UTW. If you have any idea why this is happening, let me know! For the tags that stick around, they are connected to Technorati, which I hope will increase the traffic from the blog search and ranking engine.
- Special thanks to Stacy and Mike for e-mailing me today so that I knew my Comment Spam-blocking Plugin was misbehaving. I deactivated it immediately, and things are fine now.
- Brave New Traveler’s How to Protect Your Travel Funds
- TravMonkey’s 8 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Take Hair Straighteners Traveling
- Copyblogger’s 5 Simple Ways to Open Your Blog Post With a Bang
My Week in Review
On Tuesday, I watched my beloved DC United soccer (futbol) team fall 2-1 to CD Guadalajara in Mexico, during the second of two semifinal games in the CONCACAF club tournament. On the plus side, my favorite player, Jaime Moreno, scored a gorgeous bicycle-kick goal in the first half that was rather unbelievable. It wasn’t smashed into the goal, but rather lofted over the goalie as though in slow motion. The goalie didn’t have a chance. I can’t wait to see matches in other countries like Brazil, or possibly the ’08 Olympics in China!
Tomorrow will be the last day I have to take the prescription mouthwash which numbs my tongue, while keeping my new dental implant clean, and infection-free.
Lastly, I’m heading to New York City tomorrow, for the weekend, to visit my brother and some friends. I decided to take this approach rather than go to Montreal later in the month. I’ll be sure to take pics to share. I always have a great time eating and drinking when I’m up there.
The Travel Blog Success community offers practical resources and personal support to help you build a better travel blog.
Whether you treat blogging as a hobby, or dream of building a location independent business, you'll learn what's required to create a name for yourself in the online travel world.
Benefits of Joining:
- Personal support from Dave, including site critiques and tips on negotiating advertising deals.
- Ability to learn from others' mistakes, and save yourself time, energy and money.
- Chance to network with other travel bloggers of all levels, from around the world.