- What is your first name: Daniel
- What city are you from: Bristol
- What country are you from: England
- What do you do: A nurse by trade, but at the moment a traveling violinist.
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why: Antarctica because I love to travel, meet new people and it would be a major challenge. I'd sail from the tip of Argentina to Antarctica and hope it would a great adventure. Plus the fact that I have never been there before makes it all the better.
- What's your dream and why: I'm living my dream now! I've been traveling the world for the last 6 months playing my violin on the street for money. What could be better then that?
Notes: Every once in a while you run into someone that really inspires you…Dan is the perfection of that. He wanted to travel for the first time and decided to take off, working for money on the streets playing his violin. I asked him what he makes on a good day and what was the largest tip he has ever gotten while playing. “On a good day I can make almost $15 USD and the largest tip I ever got was from a guy who gave me $5 USD. It was a great day that day!”
After hearing what he was doing, I asked a few more questions, because this wasn't your average street person run-in. He has been to over 13 countries in the last year, starting in Europe and the UK, then Central America and now South America. He self taught himself Spanish (way better then I, that's for sure), and my girlfriend (who is Ecuadorian) said he was actually quite good.
I asked what was the scariest moment so far on his trip and he went on to tell me about jumping on an old wooden sailboat from Europe to the Americas. Half way across the Atlantic Ocean, the mask to one of the sails broke (would be like the motor blowing up on a yacht). They were able to limp it into the Caribbean, but it made for a long ride. I thought maybe he would have said he got robbed in Panama or something, but to my surprise, he stated that he hasn't had any problems on the streets at all. He just goes out everyday, plays for a while for tips, and enjoys the rest of his time seeing new things. What a life huh!!!
Well I was so inspired by this guy, and not wanting to be out-tipped, I gave him $6 for the interview and wished him good luck.
Dan, if you're reading this, leave a comment and tell us where you're at, what you've been doing and if you can play “Devil Went Down to Georgia” at all!
More on this post at: http://www.foggodyssey.com/2009/08/26/faces-of-ecuador-007-2/
Last Updated on