- What is your first name: Michael
- What city are you from: Trinidad
- What country are you from: Cuba
- What do you do: Security Guard for a restaurant
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why: Toronto because I want to work there. I hear you can make good money and would like to go and send some back to my family.
- What's your dream and why: To travel the world by plane and see everything I can.
Notes: He was standing by the front door of a restaurant that we were about to go into and I quickly reached for my notepad to see if I could do an interview. I hadn't interviewed anybody yet while in Trinidad, and he seemed friendly with a very welcoming smile (even if I didn't capture it).
The interviews in Havana so far hadn't been to hard to get, but I quickly realized that anywhere else in Cuba would be a challenge. At first, he didn't understand what I was asking or wanting, but after a few minutes of explaining that all I wanted was a few questions and a picture, he finally agreed. I think it was more because he was hoping we'd come into the restaurant and spend money.
All the answers were very short, and I had to be careful about giving him examples of an answer to the questions we were asking, henceforth why his dream was to fly around the world by plane (which I really doubt is his dream). I used that as an example response, and he basically said “Yeah that's what I want to do.”
I'm not saying people in Cuba don't have dreams of their own, but I don't think they've ever been asked. I was happy to get this interview, but was sad I didn't really get to know his true thoughts on the subjects. Time is really the true factor in any personal interaction, as in the more time you spend with someone, the more you will know of them.
Last Updated on