- What is your first name: Norkis
- What city are you from: Havana
- What country are you from: Cuba
- What do you do: Tourism for 7 years.
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why: Puerto Rico because I love to dance and they love to too.
- What's your dream and why: To sing and be in a rock band! (a classic dream)
Notes: She was our tour guide for the week. She spoke perfect English, had style, and loved to dance. She even tried to teach me a few steps one night but I think she gave up on me as she moved onto more advanced salsa dancers. Broke my heart, but can't blame her after I stepped on her foot three times…sorry. She was one of the best guides I have had, as she was very knowledgeable about things beyond Cuba (which was rare there), friendly, and made sure all of us were taken care of.
When I went to take her picture, I asked her if she liked cigars and she said “Of course I'm Cuban!” So I asked if she would pose with a cigar in hand. She just smiled big at me and pulled one out of her pocket. Cuban women rock! I had originally planned on trying to get a picture of everyone that I interviewed in Cuba with a cigar, but quickly found out that was going to be extra hard. I was lucky to get the people that I did interview to talk, and didn't want to push my luck by asking for little things.
Norkis had a real sex appeal with the cigar in this photo…. damn Bill Clinton for implanting this stereotype!