Early in the year, I began publishing “photo favorites” and quickly found the weird and unusual photos were the ones shared most often via social media.
As any good Editor would do, I began serving up the weirdest, most interesting photos from my travels around the world.
The list below represents the most popular photos of the year.
- Absolut Petrol – one of my favorite photos from Bali
- Bungy Jumping in Queenstown – world's most picturesque bungy location
- Chocolate Covered Bananas – a sweet surprise on the streets of Tokyo
- Cost of a Public Toilet in India – bathroom humor is timeless
- Don't Do This in Singapore – a funny street sign
- India's Coolest Tuk-Tuk Driver – one of my personal favorites
- Obama Jeans – as seen at a market in Rwanda
- Shroom Advertising – direct from Indonesia
- View of Mount Everest from a Commercial Airplane
- World's Best Beer Name – years later, I still find it just as ridiculous
- World's Weirdest Urinal – Colombians have an odd sense of humor
If you're looking for inspiration to travel, here are a few of the photo essays we published.
- Inspirational Beautify of Yangshuo, China – by Mark Wiens
- Galapagos Penguins & White Tip Reef Sharks at Las Tintoreras
- Faces of Malaysia – by Nomadic Samuel
- Snow Monkeys: The Japanese Macaque of Nagano
- Kaiseki in Kyoto (food)
- Kushikatsu in Kyoto (food)
- Panda Bears in Chengdu
- Lunch Atop the Swiss Alps
And lastly, a couple of my personal favorites.
- Playing with Perspective – a high rise in Singapore appears two dimensional
- Portrait of a Man in Jardin, Colombia
- Giant Land Tortoise
- Blue Door in Rwanda
- Nepal's Weirdest Vehicle
- A Great White Shark Takes the Bait
Expect lots more interesting and inspiring photos in 2012!