A funny thing happened long before I left home in 2007 on my backpacking trip around the world – I became addicted to blogging. It all began when I signed up for a travel blog on BootsnAll. I noticed they were using a free, open source platform called WordPress, and thought to myself, if anyone should earn money from advertising tied to my dramatic and adventurous travels, it should be me! And thus began a long, sometimes (OK, oftentimes) compulsive approach to learning how to design, write effectively for, and monetize a blog.
Of course money was not my sole, nor even my primary motivation for taking on the task of developing a travel blog, as in the beginning, I had no sense of what I could earn. Whether you are looking to entertain your friends and family on a future trip, or develop a living wage from doing what you love, this weekly series will help you get started on the road to travel blogging success.
Each week, I will cover a different topic, some of which are outlined below. Along the way, I will share what worked well for me, and things I might have done differently.
- Getting started – goals, hosted vs. self-hosted blogs, choosing a domain name
- Building and Keeping an Audience – writing effectively, involving the reader
- Tech / Gear Tips – traveling with or without a laptop, USB sticks, hard drives
- Updates From Abroad – internet cafes, free internet access, protecting your gear
- Analysis – traffic reports, key SEO concepts and why you may want to understand them
- Monetizing Your Adventures – advertising, making money, networking
- Online resources – recommended blogs and websites on all of the above
Please leave a comment if there is a topic you would like to see covered in the series.
And as you can see, there are no shortage of topics to cover, so stay tuned for the first installment next week!
Last Updated on