Tickets? Passport? Itinerary? These are some of the essential things in a travel checklist.
If you are a frequent traveler, you know all too well that the secret to an exciting trip is excellent planning.
If you prepare before the trip, the only thing you have to do is enjoy yourself once you arrive at the destination.
When it comes to travel, there's no better place to explore than Europe.
Though it only covers 2% of the world's surface, Europe offers a plethora of sites, cultures, art, and architecture.
European states are tightly knit together, making it easily possible to travel to different countries on a single trip.
One of the most enjoyable ways to move across Europe is by using the public transportation system.
Read on to learn more about public transit in Europe and why you should consider it during your trip.
1. Why does it make sense to use local public transport?
When you pick a travel destination, the primary objective is to enjoy it to the fullest.
This means visiting every attraction, site, tasting different cuisines, and experiencing different cultures there.
In this regard, transport systems can be a major stumbling block in many destinations.
Often, the infrastructure is not good, or public transport systems are unreliable and insecure.
However, in Europe, the narrative is different. In general, Europe has arguably the best transport network, and the system is generally safe and reliable.
What are the advantages?
Some of the benefits of using the public transport system as you travel through Europe include:
- In most European cities, public transport systems will take you through or to famous attractions
- It's easy to access bus stops and stations as there are extensive road and subway networks within cities
- Europe has a wide inter-state road and subway routes that make it easy to travel from one country to the next
- Public transport offers you firsthand experience of what living in that city is like
2. How well-developed is the public transport network in Europe?
In Europe, many city dwellers live without the desire to own a vehicle, and some even skip driving lessons altogether.
Such is the safety and reliability accorded by the public transport systems in Europe.
Their public transit system consists of trains, subways, buses, trams, and trolleys.
With many pick up and drop off points, you will often alight at the exact location you're traveling to or nearby.
If you love traveling by road, you're in luck. The E Road network in Europe is the largest international signed route network.
In its entirety, including regional roads, it is over 93,000 miles (150,000 kilometers) long and cuts through many European nations as well as some parts Asia.
Governments across Europe have invested heavily in making public transport systems safe and reliable.
In over two dozen European cities, public transport is free.
This has resulted in increased use of these systems by up to 142% in towns such as Aubagne, France.
3. Is there anything special to consider?
Even though public transport is safe and reliable, it is still essential to be cautious and alert.
Here are some of the things you should do to enhance your experience:
- Do an online check of the type of tickets offered in every station. Don't worry about language challenges, as most sites offer multiple languages.
- Pick up a transit map every time you arrive at a new city
- Make sure your ticket is validated to avoid fines
- Study your surroundings and remain vigilant. Keep valuables close and safe in a bag or zipped pocket.
- Save time and money by traveling longer distances overnight
- Consult the station staff if you are not sure about anything. They're always willing to help.
4. How can I find out about useful routes before I travel? How do I find the right connection?
Navigation is one of the main challenges of traveling to new destinations. You're not sure of how things work, and there's nothing familiar to guide you.
Once you're on location, especially in city outskirts, getting the best connection from one site to the next is not easy even with your trusty map in hand.
However, identifying the best routes does not have to be stressful. With Omio, planning your travel is easy, takes less time, and saves you money.
The website has advanced filters to cater to unique travel needs. Here's how it works once you are on the website:
- Choose your travel dates (arrival and departure)
- View a list of different travel options such as planes, trains, and buses for the selected route
- Use filters such as fastest or cheapest to get more suitable options
- Choose your preferred option and book the tickets all while on the website
- Download a mobile ticket or print a physical copy
- Travel and enjoy yourself
Omio is undoubtedly a traveler's best friend. They take care of all of the complicated aspects of travel, leaving all the fun for you.
Their partnerships with over 800 transport service providers such as Eurolines, Easyjet, and Jetblue, ensure that you will have multiple travel options to choose from.
Key to a Great Travel Experience
There's no better way to rejuvenate after a long work period than traveling.
However, if you do not prepare adequately before the trip, the experience may not be as enjoyable as it could be. Make sure to start planning early and use Omio for hassle-free travel.
This story is brought to you in partnership with Omio.
Last Updated on August 24, 2020 by Dave