New Zealand surpassed my expectations, and while at times tiring and fast-paced, I would not trade my experiences for the world!
- canyoning outside Auckland
- haka dance in Maketu
- volcanic mud bathing in Rotorua
- Tongariro Crossing
- trivia night in Wellington
- bone carving in Barrytown
- heli-hiking Franz Joseph glacier
- cinema at Lake Wanaka
- Christmas Eve dinner in Queenstown
- canyong swing
- New Years Eve celebration in Christchurch
- self-catering is easy and can save me at least $10 per day in food costs
- if the tap water is safe to drink, refill plastic bottles (do not keep buying water). bonus – you can downgrade to smaller bottles of water which means less to carry around.
- the toilets have 2 buttons so you can choose between a light and heavy flush (yes, I had to ask someone why there were 2 buttons)
# of Nights Couchsurfing –
- Zero (the holidays and tight bus schedule made it difficult)
- Mix of restaurants, cafes, and self-catering (everything from rack of lamb to instant noodles)
Average Daily Budget –
- $115 (more than double the plan)
Let me know if there's another subject or topic you'd like me to cover in my “final thoughts” for each country I visit.
Last Updated on