Once again, my six months in Medellin Colombia have come to an end, and I find myself looking ahead with a mix of excitement and trepidation. I'm learning those two emotions go hand-in-hand with travel, regardless of one's experience.
Exactly two years ago last month, I wrapped up my 20-month trip around the world.
On the morning of August 8th, I packed my belongings into a beat-up Gregory backpack and flew to New York City to attend a family wedding (and a Yankees game).
I've learned the US is the best place in the world to buy electronics.
I ditched my 15″ HP laptop, which is built like a tank and has served me well the last two and a half years, for a lighter, sexier 13″ Apple Macbook Air.
I fully expect this Blackberry will get stolen too, which is why I didn't buy the most recent model, let alone an iPhone 4.
Tonight, restocked on gadgets and refueled on authentic panang curry with chicken, I'm flying to Quito, Ecuador on Aero Galapagos. I scored the flight through Priceline for just $403.
Once I get my bearings in Quito, my first priority will be to book a 7-night cruise around the Galapagos Islands.
After the Galapagos, I'm going to play it all by ear. The goal is to reach Brazil by early 2012, just in time for Carnival celebrations in February.
There are lots of cool things I want to do as I make my way across South America, including:
- Hike in the Amazon rainforest.
- Hunt for anacondas and fish for piranha.
- See Machu Picchu at dawn.
- Drive across the Bolivian salt flats, taking silly photos.
- Ride a mountain bike down Death Road (Bolivia).
- Drink Chilean wine in Santiago.
- Get a photo on Easter Island.
- Shake hands with the penguins in Antarctica.
- Trek in Patagonia and climb a mountain.
- Dance the tango in Buenos Aires.
- Find out what's going on in Paraguay.
- Check out the beach scene in Uruguay.
- Learn to samba in Brazil.
- Drink caipirinhas on the beaches of Ipanema and Copacabana.
- Marry a Brazilian swimsuit model….kidding….or am I?
Is there somewhere you'd like to see me go, or some activity not to be missed between Ecuador and Brazil? Leave a comment and let me know!
Last Updated on